Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate – All of your favorite pumpkin spices in a warm mug of hot chocolate! The perfect fall drink!
Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate
I am constantly making hot chocolate. Whether it is from a package or something more gourmet like homemade cinnamon dolce white hot chocolate, it’s always a hit at my house. One of the most requested hot chocolate recipes that I make is this pumpkin spice hot chocolate. It combined all of your favorite pumpkin spice latte flavors with a hot chocolate!
This recipe gets it’s flavor from pumpkin pie spice and pure maple syrup but you can always add a bit of pumpkin puree in. The inspiration for this recipe comes from our slow cooker pumpkin pie white hot chocolate so make sure to check that recipe out too.
Common Questions About Making Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate
What is pumpkin spice hot chocolate?
Pumpkin spice hot chocolate is a simple spin on classic hot chocolate with the addition of warm flavors such as pumpkin spice and pure maple syrup.
Can I add pumpkin puree?
Yes! Add in 1-2 tablespoons of pumpkin puree in step 2 of the recipe. It does add a bit of pumpkin texture to the hot chocolate but it adds a wonderful flavor.
Can I use white chocolate?
Yes! White chocolate is a great substitute for semi-sweet chocolate in this recipe.
What can I top this hot chocolate with?
I love serving this recipe with a combination of –
- Homemade Whipped Cream
- Bourbon Salted Caramel Sauce
- Butterscotch Sauce
- Chocolate Sauce
- Chocolate Shavings
Can this recipe be made vegan?
Yes! Just use your favorite non-dairy milk instead of the whole milk and cream in the recipe.
What other types of hot chocolate can I make?
There are so many amazing varieties of hot chocolate to try! Some favorites of mine are –
- The combination of milk and heavy cream creates a rich and delicious hot chocolate. Feel free to use only milk if you prefer. You can also use non-dairy milk for vegan/lactose free option.
- Make sure to use a good quality chocolate. I used semi-sweet but milk or dark would also be delicious.
- Maple syrup sweetens the hot chocolate and enhances the earthiness of the pumpkin spice. Feel free to swap granulated or brown sugar if you prefer.
- Pumpkin pie spice is available in most grocery stores but if you can’t find it, swap 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
- Vanilla enhances the flavors of the chocolate, maple, and spice.
Looking for more fall drinks? Check out these recipes!
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (roughly chopped)
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a saucepan set over medium heat, bring the milk and cream to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Once simmering, add in the chocolate and continue stirring until fully melted.
- Remove from the heat and add in the maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla extract.
- Enjoy warm. Store any leftover hot chocolate in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days.