Matcha Lemonade – A simple, 4 ingredient drink that is bright and refreshing. Homemade lemonade with a matcha powder mixed in and served over ice.
I love matcha. After going to Japan a few years ago and having matcha flavored everything, I always have a bag of matcha to add into desserts or to make an iced matcha latte with. During the summer, I love making a drink that may sound kind of crazy but trust me, it’s tasty – matcha lemonade! This drink is perfectly refreshing and great to make for summer parties.
Now this lemonade is pretty much a basic lemonade recipe with a bit of matcha powder in it. You can get matcha powder from most grocery stores now but worst case, just order it online. Make sure to fully mix in the matcha powder so that you don’t end up with any clumping!
Common Questions About Making Matcha Lemonade
What is matcha lemonade?
Matcha lemonade is a drink made with lemonade and matcha powder. The lemonade is made by making a simple syrup out of water and sugar which is then combined with a matcha powder, fresh lemon juice, and additional water to taste.
Should I use homemade lemonade or pre-made lemonade?
You can use whichever you prefer. If you have a pre-made lemonade that you love or you just don’t want to deal with making the lemonade from scratch, that is totally fine! Just combine 6 cups of that with the matcha powder. I would suggest mixing this matcha powder with 1/4 water and mixing it well before adding it into the lemonade so that it doesn’t end up in clumps.
Is matcha powder and green tea the same?
No, matcha powder and green tea are not the same. They are processed differently and thus end up with a different taste and use case. While you could mix green tea into lemonade, it would be more of an arnold palmer than a matcha lemonade.
What else can I make with matcha powder?
So many great things! Some of my favorite ways to use matcha powder are –
- Green Tea Frappuccino (Starbucks Copycat)
- Iced Green Tea Latte (Starbucks Copycat)
- Matcha Milk Bread
- Green Tea Ice Cream
What else can I add I add to matcha lemonade?
I like to add some lemon wedges and even a sprig of mint for a pop of color in the drink!
What other types of lemonade can I make?
There are so many options! Some of my favorites include –
Looking for more refreshing drink recipes? Check these out!
- Sparkling Watermelon Lime Spritzer
- Blueberry Margarita
- Raspberry Limeade
- Orange Moscow Mule
- Cantaloupe Agua Fresca
- 4-6 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons matcha powder
- In a small bowl, combine matcha powder and 1/4 of cold water. Mix until no chunks of matcha are left.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine 2 cups of water with the sugar. Cook until the sugar has fully dissolved (about 5 minutes). Whisk in the matcha mixture and mix until fully combined. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large pitcher, combine the matcha syrup, lemon juice, and additional water. Stir until combined and taste. Add any additional water if needed.
- Serve over ice.
Never miss a Snacks and Sips recipe