Loaded Potato Skins make the best game day snack or addition to party menus. Serve with your favorite beverage for a simple meal too.
Loaded Potato Skins
Once in a while, we have a meal of just “munchies“. No, we’re not talking about opening a bag of potato chips and digging in. We’re talking about tasty “appetizer” options, a few of them. All in all, they equal a meal and it’s kinda fun.
Especially since we aren’t dining out much (or at all) anymore, I miss parts of restaurant menus, like the appetizers or starters. Making a meal of just these types of recipes is perfect for a fun evening of staying home.
Loaded Potato Skins might not be something you make all of the time, or ever. But with a few simple steps, I bet you’ll add them to your menu rotation for an easy meal or a fun night like movie night.
What I like about making them at home is you can easily suit the tastes of multiple family members. Customize the toppings and you have yourself a whole house of happy people.
You can also use up leftovers by creating your own fun potato skin varieties. Think outside of the box with leftover BBQ pulled pork or shredded chicken. I bet you’ll be making these all of the time once you realize how easy they are to make at home.
Don’t forget how tasty Loaded Potato Skins are for game day. Watch the game, eat some Loaded Potato Skins and enjoy a cold beer…all the makings of a great day!
What ingredients do you need to make Loaded Potato Skins?
- Olive oil
- Garlic Powder
- GARNISH: green onion & sour cream
Some tips for making Loaded Potato Skins:
- I used russet potatoes, they are sturdy.
- Use any variety of cheese you’d like, I choose a sharp cheddar.
- Other add-ins and options: cooked & crumbled sausage, cooked & crumbled ground beef, bbq sauce, or ranch dressing.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.
Simple Steps for making Loaded Potato Skins:
Prepare potatoes, par-bake according to recipe directions.
Cut in halves and scoop out.
Bake a bit longer then add the toppings.
Garnish and enjoy!
Try these other easy appetizer ideas:
Enjoy a beverage with these Loaded Potato Skins:
- Cranberry Whiskey Apple Cider Cocktail
- Italian Margarita
- Slow Cooker Bourbon Caramel Apple Cider
- Bananas Foster Colada
- 4 small baking potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil, divided
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- 1.5 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup chopped bacon, cooked and cooled
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- OPTIONAL: chopped green onion & sour cream for garnish
To par-bake potatoes:
- Preheat oven to 400° degrees.
- Scrub the potatoes until clean. Poke them each 8-10 times all around with a fork.
- Drizzle them with 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Place them on a baking sheet and bake them for approximately 1 hour or until they are fork-tender.
- Once done cooking, allow the potatoes to cool until you can handle them.
- Cut them in 1/2 and scrape out the inside, leaving a 1/4" rim of potato around the outside.
- Place the potato halves back onto the baking sheet. Brush on the remaining 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil.
- Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the potatoes are crisp.
For the filling:
- Divide the cheese and bacon between the potatoes. Sprinkle with the garlic powder.
- If desired, place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes to melt the cheese and crisp the edges.
- Garnish with green onion and sour cream if desired.
- Serve warm.
Find this recipe and more at the Weekend Potluck!