Dry Rub Chicken Wings – Crispy chicken wings coated in the PERFECT blend of spices. This easy appetizer recipe is great for parties served with ranch or blue cheese dressing.
Dry Rub Chicken Wings
Are you ready as hyped for football season as I am?! With all of the game days around the corner for local and national teams, I have been brain storming exciting appetizers to serve! The recipe that is always a favorite at our house are these dry rub chicken wings. Sweet, spicy, and oh so addicting, you aren’t going to be able to put them down! I made my own dry rub blend out of ordinary pantry ingredients but if you have a pre-made mix you like or another rub recipe you love, feel free to use that instead! I like to serve these with baked blue cheese dip or ranch!
Common Questions About Making Dry Rub Chicken Wings
What are dry rub chicken wings?
Dry rub chicken wings are chicken wing portions that are coated in a blend of spices before being baked. They are served with a dipping sauce rather than being coated.
How many servings does this recipe make?
This recipe makes about 4 servings but it can easily be doubled or tripled if you want to make them for a bigger group of people.
How long do they last?
They don’t last long as they start to loose their crispy exterior so I suggest enjoying them immediately after they come out of the oven.
What other chicken wing recipes can I make?
Some of my other favorite chicken wing recipes include –
Ingredient Notes –
- I like using chicken wing portions because the flat and drummet are already separated– they may also be called “party wings” in the grocery store.
- Olive oil helps the dry rub stick to the wings– plus it helps the wings crisp in the oven. Olive oil spray will also work!
- I’m making a classic sweet-savory dry rub from scratch but if you have a favorite wing or bbq rub, feel free to use 2.5 tablespoons instead of the spices listed above. This isn’t a spicy rub so if you want these wings to have some heat, add ⅛-¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper.
Looking for more appetizer recipes? Check these out!
- 1 pound chicken wing portions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and place a baking rack over a rimmed sheet pan.
- Add the chicken wings and olive oil to a large bowl and toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients - brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, kosher salt, ground mustard, chili powder, and red pepper flakes.
- Add the spice mix to the chicken wings and toss to combine.
- Place the chicken wings skin side up on the baking sheet and cook for 20 minutes.
- Flip the chicken wings and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Enjoy immediately served with ranch or blue cheese sauce.
Never miss a Snacks and Sips recipe
Check out the web story for this recipe by clicking HERE.