Bourbon Salted Caramel Sauce – A delicious spin on classic caramel made with a dash of bourbon. Perfect to drizzle on ice cream, coffee, and more!
Bourbon Salted Caramel Sauce
Holy cow, this might be the best caramel sauce ever. When I was making a batch of coffee ice cream last weekend, I decided to make some salted caramel sauce to drizzle on top and while I was gathering the ingredients, I saw a bottle of bourbon and knew exactly what I had to do. This is a classic salted caramel sauce recipe with 2 tablespoons of bourbon added to it and it gives it such an awesome flavor!
Now you can use this bourbon salted caramel sauce for literally anything that you would use normal caramel sauce for like iced lattes or caramel macchiatos but it just gives it a bit of a different, adult flavor. Trust me, you will want to add it to everything!
Common Questions About Making Bourbon Salted Caramel Sauce
What is bourbon salted caramel sauce?
Bourbon salted caramel sauce is a classic caramel sauce recipe made by boiling water and sugar together until it is an amber-colored liquid that you then remove from heat and add heavy whipping cream, vanilla extract, salt, and bourbon to.
Do I have to use bourbon?
Nope, you can make it a regular salted caramel sauce by just skipping it.
Why do you use salt?
Add a bit of salt to sweet things actually brings out the sweet flavor and balances it, keeping it from tasting sickly sweet.
What other types of caramel sauce can I make?
There are some really great varieties of caramel sauce! Some include –
- Classic Salted Caramel Sauce
- Whiskey Caramel Sauce
- Brown Butter Caramel Sauce
- Vegan Caramel Sauce
- Chocolate Caramel Sauce
How can I store salted caramel sauce?
You can store it in a refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
My salted caramel sauce thickened up in the refrigerator – what should I do?
Your salted caramel sauce will most definitely thicken up in the refrigerator so don’t worry, you just need to microwave it for 15-30 seconds before stirring and using. If you want the sauce to be thinner, heat it for a little longer.
What can I use bourbon salted caramel sauce on?
Everything! Some of my favorite things to use it in/on are –
- Caramel Latte
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Salted Caramel Frozen Hot Chocolate
- Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate
- Salted Caramel Mocha Frappuccino
- Chocolate Ice Cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter (cut into 1 tablespoon pieces)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring water and sugar to a boil. Let sit without stirring until it becomes a nice amber color.
- Remove from heat and slowly add the butter in one tablespoon at a time and the heavy whipping cream, stirring vigorously. Be careful, if you add everything too fast, it will start to clump up.
- Add in vanilla, bourbon, and salt, stirring it in before transferring it to a heat-proof container to store. Once the caramel sauce has cooled, it will thicken up. Store in the refrigerator once it has cooled.
* Using room temperature heavy whipping cream and butter will help avoid clumping.
Never miss a Snacks and Sips recipe