Apple Peanut Butter Cookies – Homemade peanut butter cookies combined with shredded apple to make an amazing fall dessert in less than 30 minutes!
Apple Peanut Butter Cookies
Ready for fall baking season? This is my favorite time of the year, I love the flavors such as apple, pumpkin, and maple. I always try to fit in as many pastries, cookies, breads, pies, and such as I can during the season!
To kick things off, I whipped up these apple peanut butter cookies and I was blown away by how delicious they were! Eating apples with peanut butter is a go-to snack for me so combining the flavors in a cookie just felt natural.
These apple peanut butter cookies are light and fluffy, a batch makes 12 cookies but it can easily be doubled or tripled if you are making them for a party or giving them as a gift. My favorite way to serve them is by making a little ice cream sandwich with some vanilla ice cream and homemade salted caramel sauce between two cookies. It’s amazing!
Can’t get enough of this apple peanut butter cookies recipe? Try these other recipes!
Common questions about making peanut butter cookies
Can you use brown sugar instead of white sugar in peanut butter cookies?
Yes, you can just use brown sugar instead of white sugar. The cookies may just have a stronger molasses flavor but it will not be overpowering.
Why are my peanut butter cookies crumbly?
Too much flour or too much butter can lead to a crumbly cookie.
What makes cookies soft and chewy?
Cookies are soft and chewy by having the perfect balance of moisture, temperature baked at, and the bake time.
Can you freeze peanut butter cookie dough?
Yes, peanut butter cookie dough can be made ahead of time and frozen to use at a later date. Just allow to thaw for a bit before rolling the dough out and baking it.
Tips and tricks on this apple peanut butter cookies recipe
- While shredded apple is my personal favorite way to add apple to cookies, another option is to dice the apple into small pieces.
- You can substitute in chunky peanut butter for the smooth peanut butter.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup shredded apple
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter, peanut butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until light and fluffy. Add in applesauce, egg, and vanilla extract and mix until just combined.
- Slowly add in flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon until the dough is just combined before folding in shredded apple.
- Roll into 1 inch balls of dough and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Press down with a fork to create the classic crisscross shape on top.
- Place in oven and bake for 12-14 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool before serving.